For hundreds of years artists have transferred compositions onto canvas with the aid of a grid. Even Leonardo Da Vinci and Albrecht Durer were known to ‘square up’ preparatory drawings for this purpose. Now the process of scaling up (or down) has moved into the 21st Century with the latest app from Jackson’s Art, ArtGrid.
Translate your photos into perfect compositions with Jackson's ArtGrid for iPad and Android tablets. ArtGrid takes the hard work out of the traditional grid method of composition and produces precisely scaled and cropped images, ready to apply to your canvas or paper. Capture and import images and compose your next masterpiece with a range of zoom and crop options, grey-scale filter for examining values, and apply a grid specific to your surface's dimensions for accurate translation.
Step 1 Step 2
Choose image and choose canvas size Press the Grey-scale button
Step 3 Step 4
Add the gridlines The finshed tonal sketch
- ★★★★ Nice
"Nice app, works well and appears stable. Would be even better if it had: - straightening tool - ability to adjust composition with the grid in place - create duplicates of a project, to provide the same image in both greyscale and colour, for example." - by AlrightBrian on Apr 26, 2015 via itunes
"I use my iPad a lot when I am out and about to take photos of scenes and places I would like to paint at a later date. This app just gives me the flexibility of making all the changes, stretching, cropping, greyscale and then adding the grid. Fantastic" - by Mummy Jan on Mar 25, 2015 via itunes
"Fantastic app, but when working in inches on canvas sizes, why not show the dimensions of the squares also in inches if it works out to whole, half or quarter inch squares. If I ask some of my more senior students to divide their canvas into 51mm squares they'd throw a wobbly - 2 inches they can understand. Only a nitpick- otherwise it is BRILLIANT." - by scillyGill on Mar 24, 2015 via itunes
★★★★★ Great app
"This version seems to be quite stable. Does everything I need. Easily zooms in on the photo, easily adjust the grid size, add extra grid lines without any issues. A few quick simple adjustments and I am done. All on my iPad, perfect. Thank you" - by Ray1974 on Mar 22, 2015
"Brilliant resource." - by Dtb194 on Mar 6, 2015
"Love this easy to use just what I needed. Lots of useful features like setting the grid to your canvas size and working the measurement out. Great app. Will be a great addition to any artist's tool kit. Thanks Jackson' s" - By D Patterson on Mar 26, 2015
★★★★★ Finally the perfect Art Grid.
"I just love it. It took me fews minutes to work out this app and voila these is how always wanted. Couldn't be easier to use it for your artwork really. I love the saving options for each image I intend to work from for example. Thank you Jackson's" - By Giuseppe Milazzo on Mar 24
★★★★★ Great Art Aid
"Just down loaded this app and it will be great for artist to be able to work from their iPads and tablets ." - By Paul Stephens on Mar 24, 2015
★★★★★ Everything for free
"I've tried other ART GRIDS, they're really basic unless you pay for upgrades! This version has everything you need and it's for FREE!!! plus user friendly! Designed by artists for artists. Can't thank you enough Jacksons" - By Penfold Carper on 25 March 2015
★★★★★ Amazing art assist!
"Have just downloaded this app from seeing a link on you tube. Have tried it out with one of my photos and it looks good. Next step....do the drawing!" - By Mogsy A on Mar 25, 2015
- Is ArtGrid available internationally? Yes
- Is ArtGrid available on smartphones? No
- Is the grid in cm or inches? You can input the size in either metrics however not the grid itself, this is in mm only.
- How much does ArtGrid cost to buy? It is completely free until further notice
- Can I use ArtGrid on my desktop? No, available on ipad or android tablet
- Whenerever I try to take a picture the camera goes blank? If your tablet or ipad has a case, it may be covering the camera, check on your usual camera to see if this is happening.
- Will Artgrid be availbale for mobile devices? We are not currently working on a mobile version, but we will let you know if we do.
- Artgrid is compatible with iPad
- ArtGrid is compatible with Android tablet devices. Have a look at our List of Android Devices compatible with ArtGrid ***Unfortunately at present the ArtGrid App is unavailable to download via Google Play Store for Android Devices. Our developers are aware of the issue and are looking into it***
- ArtGrid is not compatible with any mobile device or desktop