Not your ordinary hog brushes!
Our most popular oil painting brush!
These are our oil brushes with the most positive customer comments about quality and value for money. They hold their shape, have moderate stiffness/spring, are soft enough for blending but leave brushmarks in thick paint. I find they do not easily break off bristles in the paint, which is my personal decisive issue. This durability also means a longer-lasting brush.
Jackson’s Black Hog Oil Painting Brushes are truly beautiful. Similar in look to the Black Sable but with slightly stiffer hair and considerably less expensive, these natural hair brushes have the softness, touch, spring and control of a top quality brush. The interlocked bristle is contained in a distinctive copper ferrule with a high quality matt black handle.
Available in round, flat, and filbert shapes in sizes 2 to 12 and two sets.
Julie Caves: “I personally love these brushes. They feel substantial. The bristle has the right mixture of characteristics for oil painting: stiff enough to pick up thick paint and leave brushmarks if desired, springy enough to retain the shape of the brush even with scrubbing and smooth enough for blending. They are so sturdily built that the bristles do not break off in the paint, something I find very irksome. The handles do not peel.”
- “Excellent very manoverable would recommend it for oil and acrylic”
- “Good quality at a good price.”
- “If ever a beauty contest was held for paint brushes, these brushes would win hands down. They far exceeded my expectations. Go and buy these brushes. Not only do they look good they balance superbly in the hand and the quality of the black hog is incredible. What a treat.”
- “Enjoyed using it – much better than ordinary hog.”
- “This is lovely brush. The bristles hold the paint well, it has enough strength for expressive brushwork and enough softness for more gentle passages. It actually looks great too. It looks more expensive than it actually is.”
- “Very nice responsive bristle brush”
- “I have bought some previously and they really are excellent. They outclass all other brands in that price bracket and some higher priced ones.”
Click on the underlined link to go to the current offer on
Jackson’s Black Hog Oil Painting Brushes on the Jackson’s Art Supplies website.
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £39 or more. Brush only orders of £20 or more are free postage worldwide.