Now in its 30th year, the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition ‘aims to celebrate and redefine the beauty and diversity of watercolour and water-based media.’ Open to all UK-based artists, the competition is the largest prize for contemporary watercolour painting in the UK. This year, first prize will receive £10,000 – there will also be a Jackson’s Young Artist Award which we will be sponsoring and the winner will receive £500 worth of Jackson’s Art Vouchers and a prize from St Cuthberts Mill for an outstanding work on paper.
Selection for the competition will be made by a panel of leading figures from the art world and will consist of 100 works which reflect the true breadth of the medium. The judges for this years competition include:
Sarah Long – Director, Long & Ryle Gallery
Kathryn Maple – Artist, Winner of the Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition 2016
Louis Wise – Critic & Writer, The Sunday Times
Andrew Wilton – Visiting Research Fellow, Tate Britain
Entry is completed online, with an entry fee of £15 per artwork. Artists may enter up to 4 works.
The 2017 Sunday Times Watercolour Competition is now open for entries, the deadline for online entries is 5pm on 26th June 2017.
Rules & Guidelines:
- The competition is open to all artists born or resident in the UK, creating paintings using any water based medium.
- Works entered should have been carried out in the last three years; be the sole and original work of the entrant; and be an original composition.
- The maximum size of work, in its largest dimension, including frame, is 122 cm.
- All works shortlisted and submitted for final judging, must be securely framed and behind glass. Metal, plastic or clip frames will not be allowed.
- Works must be available for the duration of the London exhibition and tour.
Key Dates to note:
- 26th June Deadline for online entries, by 5pm
- 4th July Results of initial entry emailed to artists by this date
- 14th & 15th July Shortlisted artists submit works to FBA
- 18th July Results of second round judging emailed to artists by this date
- 21st & 22nd July Unaccepted short listed works available for collection at FBA, 10am-5pm
- 18th – 24th September Exhibition at Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1 10am-5pm
To enter the 30th Sunday Times Watercolour Competition, please click here
Image at the top features the following artworks:
Top Row (L-R)
David Parfitt RI, Wetland Blues, selected for the Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition 2016.
Kathryn Maple, Sandy Shoes, Winner of the Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition 2016.
Nathaniel Hornsby, Self Portrait, selected for the Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition 2016.
Bottom Row (L-R)
Roger Allen, Cader Idris from Bird Rock, selected for the Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition 2016.
Stephanie Tuckwell, Flow, selected for the Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition 2016.