At Jackson’s we have over 500 useful and inspiring books for artists to help you get the most out of your painting time and materials. While most of the books we stock are practical art titles – how to draw, paint and make prints – in addition to these art instruction books we also have art theory and history books, as well as books with career advice for professional artists.
This list of our best-sellers is a handy guide to what has been popular during 2019. This year’s bestseller list has lots of books about the mediums of watercolour painting, pastels and printmaking, with a predominance of subject matter of painting flowers, water or skies and colour mixing. Some favourite titles from last year are still going strong! To browse our Book Department, filter your results using the tick boxes on the left side of the screen or the finder tool at the top of the list, and add a book to your materials order. Learn something new!
Top 25 Art Instruction Books of 2019
- Billy Showell’s Botanical Painting In Watercolour
- Colour Mixing Guide: Acrylics
- David Bellamy’s Skies, Light and Atmosphere in Watercolour
- Linocut for Artists and Designers
- Paint Yourself Calm: Colourful, Creative Mindfulness Through Watercolour
- Painting Brilliant Skies & Water in Pastel
- Chromatopia: An Illustrated History of Colour
- Gelli Plate Printing
- Chinese Brush Painting: Traditional and contemporary techniques using ink and water soluble media
- Experimental Landscapes in Watercolour
- Painting Water in Watercolour: 30 Minute Artist
- Watercolour Workshop: Projects and Interpretations
- Pastel Pointers: Top 100 Secrets For Beautiful Paintings
- Making Woodblock Prints
Merlyn Chesterman and Rod Nelson
- Anna Mason’s Watercolour World
- Taking Risks with Watercolour
- A-Z of Flower Portraits
- Acrylics Unleashed
- Jean Haines’ Atmospheric Watercolours: Painting with freedom, expression and style
- Jean Haines’ Colour & Light in Watercolour: new extended edition
- The Pastel Artist’s Bible
Claire Waite Brown
- Colored Pencil Painting Bible: Techniques for Achieving Luminous Color and Ultra-realistic Effects
- Portrait Painting Atelier: Old Master Techniques and Contemporary Applications
- Wabi Sabi Painting with Cold Wax: Adding Body, Texture and Transparency to Your Art
- Drawing and Painting People: A Fresh Approach
Did your favourite books make the list?
Click on the underlined link to go to the current offers in the Art Instruction Books Department on the Jackson’s Art Supplies website.
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £39.