A new acrylic colour from Sennelier:
Abstract Innovative Acrylic
New from Sennelier- an affordably priced, heavy body acrylic colour designed for artists who use a lot of paint. Packaged in a 120ml flexible pouch, ideal for easy squeezing, with a higher pigment load than you would expect for such a reasonably priced paint!
The Sennelier Abstract Acrylic range has 60 colours, 34 of which are single pigment colours for clean mixing.
• 36 satin finish colours
• 12 high gloss colours
• 6 iridescent colours
• 6 fluorescent colours
There is also a 500ml pouch of Titanium White.
I did a few tests to investigate this new paint.
- I liked the pouch. It took a few tries to get the hang of it but then I found it quite natural and the lid went onto the long neck much more easily than a lid on a tube.
- I liked the clear patch on the front and bottom of the pouch to see the actual colour inside.
- I thought they was a higher pigment load than you would expect for the price.
- The texture was nice and buttery.
- The colour range is a useful selection.
- Having the colours labelled as Satin and Gloss is helpful as all acrylics glossiness will vary because of the amount and type of ground pigment in the polymer and this labelling lets you know which is which.
- They all are labelled as lightfast except the iridescent and fluorescent, as you would expect.
- They dried much duller than the wet colour, as you might expect. But this should be corrected with varnish.
- There is a visible colour shift from wet to dry.
- The opacity seems good.
- The only problem was the alarming number of bubbles in the paint when I spread a thick layer of paint I had mixed from two colours with a palette knife. After drying it left visible pin holes that I didn’t like. Perhaps it is best used in thinner layers.
Click on the underlined link to go to the current offers on the Sennelier Abstract Acrylic on the Jackson’s Art Supplies website.
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £39.