Escoda Modernista imitation mongoose brushes
Escoda Modernista brushes are made with Tadami synthetic fibres (imitation mongoose) and are equally brilliant for oil and acrylic painting.
Jacksons’ Art stock the Modernista in three shapes:
Bright/Flat, Filbert and Round – each comes in 15 sizes.
I tested two sizes of flat and a filbert brush using oil colour, acrylics and water-mixable oil.
I made a variety of marks with different thicknesses of paint and checked for the brush holding its shape and how well it responded to different pressures.
The brushes performed beautifully!
In thick paint I was able to make visible brush marks or smooth away the marks, and I could achieve an even wash with thin paint. The brushes worked equally well using oil, water-mixable oil and acrylic paints. The fibres were responsive – fairly springy but not too snappy. The brush head held its shape -the fibres did not splay or separate, which is especially nice for thin chisel edged marks or using the brush sideways for fine lines. They did not become frazzled in solvent or floppy in water. No hairs fell out in the paint even when I scrubbed into the canvas. The brushes cleaned well, the fibres didn’t stain.
- 5-Star – “Excellent brush, the Tadami are my favourites of all the Escodas, they carry a sharp edge and it just feels good to paint with them. These are the ones I keep going back to time again and again.”
- 5-Star – “Love these Escoda brushes.”
- 5-Star – “Great value for money, I use them all the time now.”
- 5-Star – “I like the pointed filbert shape of the brush. I also have the #12, 14 and 16 sizes.”
- 5-Star – “Very pleased with them.”
Click on the underlined link to go to the current offer on the Escoda Modernista brushes on the Jackson’s Art Supplies website.
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £39.