At Jackson’s we have a good selection of over 600 useful and inspiring books for artists to help you get the most out of your painting time and materials. While most of the books we stock are practical art titles – how to draw, paint and make prints – in addition to these art instruction books we also have art theory and history books, as well as books with career advice for professional artists.
This list of our best-sellers is a handy guide to what has been popular during 2018. This year’s bestseller list has lots of books about the mediums of watercolour painting, pastels and printmaking, with a predominance of subject matter of painting flowers, water or skies and colour mixing. Some favourite titles from last year are still going strong!
We are very proud of the competitive prices on our great selection of art books; we are often the best price online! Why not browse our Book Department, filter your results using the tick boxes on the left side of the screen or the finder tool at the top of the list, and add a book to your materials order. Learn something new!
Top 25 Art Instruction Books of 2018
- The Modern Flower Painter: Creating Vibrant Botanical Portraits in Watercolour
- Painting Brilliant Skies & Water in Pastel
- Billy Showell’s Botanical Painting In Watercolour
- David Bellamy’s Skies, Light and Atmosphere in Watercolour
- Experimental Landscapes in Watercolour
- Painting Water in Watercolour: 30 Minute Artist
- Paint Yourself Calm: Colourful, Creative Mindfulness Through Watercolour
- Linocut for Artists and Designers
- Colour Mixing Bible (Now Out of Print)
- Jean Haines’ Atmospheric Watercolours: Painting with freedom, expression and style
- Colour Mixing Guide: Acrylics
- Abstract Nature: Painting the Natural World With Acrylics, Watercolour and Mixed Media
- Portrait Painting Atelier: Old Master Techniques and Contemporary Applications
- Drawing and Painting Animals with Expression
- Anna Mason’s Watercolour World
- Taking Risks with Watercolour
- 600 Watercolour Mixes
- Jean Haines’ Colour & Light in Watercolour: new extended edition
- Experimental Flowers in Watercolour
- Pastel Pointers: Top 100 Secrets For Beautiful Paintings
- Watercolour Fruit & Vegetable Portraits
- Chinese Brush Painting: Traditional and contemporary techniques using ink and water soluble media
- Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course
Gerald M. Ackerman
- Painting in Pastels
- Gelli Plate Printing
Did your favourite books make the list?
Click on the underlined link to go to the current offers in the Art Instruction Books Department on the Jackson’s Art Supplies website.
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £39.