A handy set of drawing accessories, this set contains items to help you with blending, erasing and sharpening.
These tools are useful for drawing with graphite, charcoal and pastels.
I have written a quick description of each tool and made a sample page, photo below. I hope you find it helpful.
UPDATE: We now stock a different set – the Studio Essentials Sketching Set.
The Drawing Companion Set contains:
- A sandpaper block for pointing pencils or shaping charcoal and pastels. It is especially useful for drawing implements that do not fit in a standard pencil sharpener but with it you can also create different shapes at the end of your pencil or stick and you can save the ground up colour for powdery uses. Contains 12 sheets of sandpaper on an mdf holder so you can use the handle to help get just the angle you want. Overall length is approximately 16.5cm
- A kneadable eraser (putty rubber) that erases thoroughly but more softly than a plastic eraser. It is pliable and can also be torn into smaller pieces, kneaded until soft and shaped for erasing tiny areas.
- An erasing shield is like a stencil to erase a line between two areas that have blurred or an edge that has become smudged. Precision erasing exactly up to an edge. Approximately 6x10cm.
- 2 paper stumps and 3 tortillions in small and large sizes. Stumps and tortillions save your fingers from the pain and mess of rubbing your paper to blend areas. They also offer more control, being smaller than your finger so they can get into smaller areas and can also press harder. A stump is a solid piece of paper pulp and is a bit softer than a tortillion which is made from a rolled long strip of paper.
- A piece of chamois leather approximately 9x12cm. This is the best blender you can get, great for graphite portraits, to create a smooth gradient. It also can erase.
- A standard pencil sharpener. A sturdy little metal sharpener.
Click on the underlined link to go to the current offer on the Drawing Companion Set on the Jackson’s Art Supplies website.
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £39.